If you’ve ever felt lost you aren’t alone. Life continuously has its ups and downs, and we all have times in our lives that are challenging. There is a Jewish saying, “Without vision, the people parish.”
If you are feeling like your life is going in circles, here are 12 steps to create a vision for yourself:
- Learn to breathe deeply and meditate for clarity, intuition and guidance. Mindful meditation can help clear your mind and relax your body so that you can remain calm and access information, both internally and externally to help you make better life decisions.
- Give gratitude. Look around you and find what is right and what is working. There are more things in your life that are right than out of control. Praise them. Write daily lists of how all your needs are met and how life is taking care of you. Be aware how you become more positive with this daily practice.
- Forgive yourself and others. Do you need to forgive yourself or others? When you hold on to old wounds your life can be heavy with anger, rage and resentment and it is difficult to move ahead. Be honest with your feelings and seek counsel so that you can forgive and move forward.
- Explore your talents and passions. Every person is unique and has a special light that shines on them. That light is shining on you. Just ask yourself: What passions or talents do I have that that I’m not using? The time has come for you to share it with the world.
- Spend time with positive people. Positive people lift you up and energize; toxic people will drain the energy from you. Seek out positive people whose lives you admire.
- Be your own best friend. Do you treat yourself as well as you treat your best friend? Being your own best friend means that you are kind, gracious, forgiving and have positive thoughts about yourself.
- Explore new opportunities. If you are feeling stifled, or are in a situation that isn’t working for you, think of an alternative that would make you come alive. Just use your imagination.
- Stretch yourself – dream big. Don’t limit yourself or allow lack of confidence or fear to stop you from creating your vision. If your vision isn’t causing you to feel a little uncomfortable, you aren’t dreaming big enough.
- Write a mission statement. A simple sentence stating your vision is a great way to start. Then write three to five action steps to take and follow through on these steps. When you’ve completed these steps, write down three to five more. You’ll be surprised how much you can accomplish by following these steps.
- Write affirmations for empowerment. Write at least three affirmations that boost your well-being. One example is: When I listen to my inner self, I find all the answers I need.
- Flexibility is key. As life goes on, circumstances may change and you may have to tweak your vision. Think of it as an on-going process or a living thing.
- Find an accountability partner. Seek out a professional like a life coach who will hold you accountable to reach your goals and stay on course.
As a life coach, the place I begin with is you – the individual – your personality — your dreams and passions – and your heart’s desires to help you create your vision. Contact me for a free 30-minute consultation at email@example.com.